GSA is thrilled that the Southern Regional Planning Panel approved this spectacular redevelopment of The Robertson Hotel!
Located on a hill with expansive views of the Wingecarribee region, the site has a very interesting history. Originally constructed in 1924, ‘Hotel Robertson’ was designed as a tourist resort with a nine-hole golf course,
horse riding stables, a bowling green, tennis courts. health club and treatment rooms. The site was sold in 1925 and renamed ‘Hotel Ranelagh’, and operated as an exclusive Country Club. From World War 2 onwards, the hotel accommodated pilots from the Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force, was used as a training centre and hospice for returned servicemen, and subsequently a seminary for the St Anthony’s Franciscan Friary. It resumed its use as a hotel in the 1970s and served as a function centre for conferences and wedding receptions.
Working with renowned architect X.Pace Design, the redevelopment of the site includes upgrading the existing hotel facility, construction of eco-tourist cabins and villas, conversion of the existing workers cottage to an artist studio, new swimming pool, associated leisure centre and car parking.
The broader range of accommodation types will provide flexibility for a multitude of group sizes, and more outdoor recreational facilities will be offered on site. The proposal will also promote local art and culture through the provision of the artist-in-residence studio. In addition, the creation of new internal pathways will activate the unbuilt heritage environment and provide greater access to the landscaped areas of high ecological value. Importantly, the redevelopment will promote tourism within the Wingecarribee LGA and provide employment opportunities.
We were privileged to work with such a fantastic team of consultants and look forward to seeing this take shape!
Image source: X.PACE